Music Licensing Masterclass: From Publishing To Sync
Erased Tapes Records Ltd.
London, United Kingdom
- not accredited
- 21st October, 2018 - 21st October, 2018
What’s the role of the modern music publisher, and do artists really need one? How can you maximise revenue from your music and seek out new opportunities to create and license music for media?
Designed for independent artists, managers, labels, and music business students, and led by Erased Tapes Music Publishing’s GM, Julie Blake, this crash course will teach you how to:
- Understand different types of publishing royalties
- Read and negotiate music licensing contracts
- Get a fair deal with a publisher or agent
- Set the right price for your music and composition services
- Maximise chances of getting your music licensed
- Seek out scoring opportunities
Julie is former VP of licensing and co-founder of Third Side Music Publishing, and previously headed up Ninja Tune’s North American music licensing operations. Sharing invaluable insights from over 20 years’ industry experience, Julie will explain how to tap into the wealth of new opportunities available to license music.
Emily Appleton Holley worked as a composer before joining music production and supervision company, Air-Edel, in 2014. In addition to heading up the company’s advertising music division, Emily has worked alongside top UK music supervisors Maggie Rodford and Matt Biffa on films such as Paddington 2, Midnight On The Orient Express, The Children Act, and Carol.
Michael Price is an EMMY award-winning composer and pianist, best known for his work on BBC Sherlock and Unforgotten. His previous work in film includes James Bond: Quantum Of Solace, Lord Of The Rings, Hot Fuzz, Children Of Men, and Bridget Jones: The Edge Of Reason, and Love Actually.
Cost: £249. Book before October 12th for early bird rate of £199.
12pm - Introduction
- The evolving role of the publisher
- Copyright & royalties 101
- Working with agents
1pm - Getting Music Licenses
- Sync opportunities and trends
- Pitching dos and don’ts
- Q&A with Emily Appleton Holley, Music Supervisor
2pm - Coffee Break
2:30pm - Negotiating Music Licenses
- The licensing process
- Negotiating contracts and fees
- Understanding licensing terms
3:30pm - Composition
- Scoring opportunities and trends
- Understanding the legalities of working for hire
- Guest speaker: Michael Price, Composer
4:30pm - Publishing Deals
- When you need one
- Choosing the right publishing partner
- Signing advances and terms
5pm - Drinks & Discussion